As you know, Durfee and the words “college bound” go together, and we are committed to creating a school that knows no limits to the success of every student. We work together to blend our mission, vision, and shared commitment into one goal of promoting college readiness. As you will find out, there are commitments that must be made on the part of students, staff, and parents in order to make this endeavor successful. I urge you to be an active member of our school community as we go forward together to open doors to learning that have never been opened before. Below you will find the activities that take place at Durfee to promote a “college bound student.”
- Each Classroom has adopted a college or university and will learn its cheer.
- Students wear the adopted college or university t-shirt every Wednesday.
- Promote college readiness through the Word of the Week (WOW)
- Every Wednesday, before we enter the classrooms, we chant, “We are Durfee students. We are college bound!” During our morning announcements, we will also recite the “Durfee College Pledge.”
- College bulletin boards that highlight the adopted college or university
- Assemblies and guest speakers to promote college readiness.
- College or university banners displayed throughout the entire school.
- Teachers intensify a culture of universal achievement, collaboration, aligning the standards, assessment, interpreting data, and interventions, and strongly implemented college going activities to promote student achievement.
- Students write goals and action plans for achieving their goals.
I know that this is going to be a great endeavor for everyone associated with Durfee. Thank you for your support of your child’s education.